The Arab Monetary Fund (AMF) is a regional financial institution with 22 Arab countries as members and with headquarters in Abu Dhabi, the United Arab Emirates. The AMF mandate is to lay the monetary foundation of Arab Economic Integration and to accelerate the process of economic development in all Arab Countries. Pursuant to this mandate, the AMF provides balance of payments support and assist in the formulation and implementation of economic and financial structural reform programmes and in building capacity in its member countries.
The AMF is currently seeking a dynamic and seasoned economist with a broad and deep professional experience for a senior level position. The candidate is to provide leadership and intellectual guidance to a team of professional economists and support staff, as well as to coordinate the broad and diverse areas of economic and financial work within the Fund. He will be responsible for the development and implementation of work programmes to achieve the Fund’s objectives. He will participate in developing the overall Fund’s strategy, setting objectives, formulating polices and measures and establishing priorities, as well as managing programmes and budget resources, developing new approaches to ensure the overall relevancy of the Fund’s work. He will lead and coordinate technical assistance missions to member states. He will plan and deliver general guidance and overall supervision to research work, including the preparation of relevant reports and publications. He will be responsible for the provision of high-quality advice and expertise on overall macroeconomic policy issues, development and reform strategies and major technical issues of the Fund and to member states and in the conduct of negotiations. He will seek to develop and foster partnerships with relevant international and regional institutions to ensure coordination of activities and to leverage the Fund’s resources to the benefit of member states. He will represent the AMF management on economic and financial issues in international and regional fora. He will provide direct support to the management on a broad range of technical and management issues. As a member of the AMF senior management team, he will serve in the advisory committees.
* Strong academic and professional credentials, including a university degree, preferably a Ph.D in economic or in related fields from a recognized university.
* At least 10-15 years of progressively responsible experience focused on economic and financial analysis, policy formulation and design of reform strategies with a national institution such as a central bank, a ministry of finance or an international multilateral institution or regional organization.
* A proven track record of dealing with economic and financial development issues and in carrying out economic and financial analysis and policy design.
* A strong analytical skills, a substantial background in quantitative policy research and economic modelling.
* A demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the economic and financial challenges in the Arab region.
* A proven record of research publication in recognized journals and reviews.
* A demonstrated ability to lead and manage a team of professional economists.
* Proven communication and negotiation skills.
* An ability to represent the AMF and interact effectively with authorities of member states.
* A proven record of intellectual rigor, analytical credibility and strong management skills and political sensitivity.
* Proficiency in Arabic and English that are the working languages in the AMF, a proficiency in the French language for communicating with and advising national authorities of some member states and assessing national economic conditions will be an asset.
The fund offers competitive terms of service in accordance with the applicable employment policy, which includes tax free salary, housing, furniture, air tickets, education allowance, and life & medical insurance.